placing information on a network

Subject: placing information on a network
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 18:57:02 +0100

Hello Sarah,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Sarah Lee an All am 09.02.96

SL> From: Sarah Lee <slee -at- rosebay -dot- matra -dot- com -dot- au>

SL> I am interested in the ways companies, especially software
SL> companies, use to place information/services into a network
SL> for their clients and users, say to be accessible via WWW.

I see four major ways to do this:

- If you wish to distribute updates or other files,
offer some FTP server.
- If you have a small number of customers or want to control the
distribution closely, set up a ditribution list within your
e-mail editor.
- If you want to automate the exchange process, offer a mailing list.
- If you want to offer some information, files, pictures, database
searches and so on, offer some WWW documents.

SL> Are techniques and methods documented somewhere? How would
SL> I find information about this area?

May be some introduction to the Internat in general might be helpful. If you
are lucky, someone offering services like those mentoned above might answer
here.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander