Re: "The new way to 'office'"???

Subject: Re: "The new way to 'office'"???
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 08:23:05 -0800

Attention, Word Junkies, real and wannabe. See Webster's Third New
Unabridged Dictionary. Office is an intransitive verb. (Your
standard office dictionary probably overlooks it, I know.)

Webster quotes the following sentence from Ernst Waldinger: "The old
Vienna doctors have always had the habit of officing in their homes."

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California

>>> Huber, Mike <Mike -dot- Huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com> - 2/13/96 6:39 AM

Remember - "Verbing weirds language" (Calvin-actually Bill Waterson)

In another context, the sentence has a completely different meaning -
perhaps Kinko's is a good place to get all those pre-voted ballots
made up?

The "part of speech" attribute of a word carries information. When
you throw that away, the result is a sentence that contains less
information, often in the form of an ambiguity.