Various HTML issues

Subject: Various HTML issues
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 12:06:00 +0100

Hello David,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von David Blyth an All am 03.02.96

DB> From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- qualcomm -dot- com>

DB> >You can force *vertical* space, but not *horizontal* space.
DB> Just one
DB> >example of poor language design.

DB> I agree that HTML is poorly designed

please do not confuse two things: DTP and SGML-like tagging. Personally, I
dislike the efforts to give HTML DTP-like possibilities. This way it looses
much of its original appeal as the poor man's SGML.

Originally, HTML was mostly about tagging the contents of a document. Look at
the HTML 1.1 tags and you see what I mean. If you wish to control exactly how
your document is displayed, you should insert PDF (Acrobat) files or
somethingg like this.

There are two outposts of electronic document creation:

- Systems like those based on SGML, which try hard to offer possibilities
to re-use the contents. They need a common, standardized technoloy
like SGML *to tag the contents* of the document. On the other side
this means no emphasis on DTP-like functions.

- Systems like Adobe Acrobat, which offer you many possibilities to
express yourself on the screen or on a print-out, but who more or
less *make it impossible to do anything else* with these documents.

There is a cooperation between Adobe and Netscape to bridge this gap. I could
imagine to build a framework using HTML documents which include PDF documents.
This way you could get the best of both worlds: A logical structure of the
whole document to navigate and fully designed chapters or so, that cannot be
tampered with.

BTW: Adobe an Netscape work on a PDF variant where you can download single
pages. Presently, you must have the complete PDF file before you can start to
display parts of it.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander