Re: Acrobat

Subject: Re: Acrobat
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:53:43 -0700

Marvin Miller comments...

>My experience with Acrobat has been that the files sizes are smaller than than
>the original document. We use Acrobat for internal distribution of project
>docs over the company network (via web pages).

Most company networks:

o Download over a T1 line (very fast), not a 14,400 modem

o Are of course local - not on a distant server.

Still, downloading Acrobat files over my own local net is slow.
Thus, Adobe is working on a way to download only one PDF page at
a time (not the entire document). That's one reason why Amber
is interesting.

The same logic applies to most Web products (such as Video) - they're
slow over the Internet and quick locally. Thus, one guess is that
Netscape 2.0 plug-ins will be extensively used to distribute internal
documents over local Websites.

And (BTW), the final Netscape 2.0 product came out this weekend.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - I don't speak for QUALCOMM, they don't speak
for me....