What's the Menu?

Subject: What's the Menu?
From: Jxbarton -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 03:05:11 -0500

A few months ago, I told someone at an STC gathering that I switching careers
and would soon be looking for an entry level tech writing job. "What kind?",
they asked brusquely, and looked at me. I looked back in shock. I wanted to
ask "What's the menu?", but my courage failed me, so I mumbled something
about how I was just starting out, and didn't have a good sense of that yet.

So I hereby ask: What IS the menu? Is there a consensus on the kinds of tech
writing? If not, does someone want to venture a classification scheme? What
are the five ( or 20) main types or sub-specialties of tech writing? Any tips
on how they differ in terms of training needed, traits desired, and/or how
well they pay are welcome.

If you reply to me, I'll summarize the answers received by Friday, Feb. 9th
and post them over the weekend.

Jim Barton
jxbarton -at- aol -dot- com