passive

Subject: passive
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:28:13 -0600

From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>

The passive voice is a valid part of the language, not a
long-dead fish. However, I find that, in my writing, a
passive sentence tends to need a hard look.
My writing prof. put it this way (and I paraphrase): Every passive should
be like a blinking red light that says, "Why am I here? Am I here for a
good reason [actor is unknown or doesn't matter]? Would I better if you
made me active?"