Meaning of "user-friendly"

Subject: Meaning of "user-friendly"
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:07:24 -0600

Rick Lippincott wrote

------------------------------
(snip)
To me, "user friendly" means "easily understood." Bob and cute icons don't
contribute to that. I'd rather have a clearly written, dry looking manual
than a "cute" icon-loaded pile of muddled words.
------------------------------

Rick, I believe you're making an unfair assumption. Just because a manual
contains cute icons and the like doesn't mean its words are muddled.
Reference Beverly Parks' experience with the Win95 guide, which she called
"very
helpful and very easy to read". Sounds a lot like your definition of user
friendly.

| Connie E. Winch | What is written without |
| Technical Writer | effort is in general |
| Macola Software | read without pleasure. |
| cew -at- macola -dot- usa -dot- com | -Samuel Johnson |