Re. Minimalist help?

From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:51:38 -0600

Perhaps we need a distinction between the connotation and
denotation of "minimalist" documentation.

The denotation is to avoid verbosity and provide a straight
path to the solution; this does not prohibit you from
providing comprehensive details on request (i.e., the
proverbial "more details" button). On the other hand, the
connotation seems to be what some companies are adopting:
provide the minimum you can provide without driving your
customers to other suppliers. Ideally, sell the really
important information as an extra product so you can create
a captive income-generating audience.

I like the former approach; I'm dubious about the latter.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.