Re: Usage of "that"

Subject: Re: Usage of "that"
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:03:36 IST

"This section lists related documentation *that* you may find helpful."

"This guide assumes *that* you have a basic understanding of..."

"Ensure *that* the hood is securely fastened."

** I don't think I've ever seen a *that* waived after *ensure*.

It could be omitted from the first two sentences (though each
of them uses it differently), but I think that, as used, it's
helpful in strengthening the obviousness of the sentence
structure.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||