Re: Engineers Inside Documentation Group

Subject: Re: Engineers Inside Documentation Group
From: Richard G Harris <rgh -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:02:42 +0001

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Judith Hammeran wrote:

> Hello, Techwhirlers!

> I've been asked (as part of a reorganization my department is currently
> undergoing) to explore ways in which a documentation department can use an
> engineer on its staff. I know that quality validation is one topic that has
> been discussed on the list recently, and that's certainly a job an engineer
> working for a documentation department could do.

> Does anyone have other ideas?

I had to change careers from engineering to technical writing because of
a physical handicap. I experience two other advantages:

* I can often work independently, without as great a need to consult
with the engineers
* At the project (my writing project) beginning, the engineers are
always *real* busy. I can usually get some documents; from these
documents (technical hardware documents in my case), I can often
create what I need, such as a nonexistent theory of operation.

I'd expect an engineer in the writing department would have similar
advantages. Trouble is, writing (or more accurately designing written
communication) is too much fun. How are you going to keep them down on
the farm after ...

Dick Harris
Waters Corp.
rgh -at- world -dot- std -dot- com