Re: Passive Voice

Subject: Re: Passive Voice
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 09:51:56 -0800

>A meeting is held every Wednesday. This is a perfectly legitimate
>sentence which says exactly what I want to say. In order to make the
>sentence active, I would have to research who originally decided to
>hold the meetings so I could say: Tom holds a meeting every Wednesday.

At the companies I've been at, only very inexperienced people will
show up for a meeting without knowing who's running it and what
the agenda is. Thus, while the sentence may say what you want it
to say, its lack of actors, purpose, and urgency will keep anything
from coming of it.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139