Re: making slides: how much to charge?

Subject: Re: making slides: how much to charge?
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 10:07:00 -0600

How much would you charge for making camera-ready,
presentation-quality slides from someone's handwritten notes, using
Corel Draw or some such program? The product would be a floppy with
files (customer then pays 3rd party to make the slides).

I understand that just getting the slides made (once files are ready)
costs ~$4.25 per slide. How much is the LABOR of creating the files
worth? Do you charge by the hour, or by the slide?

We used to pay between $25 and $250 per finished slide, depending upon the
complexity of the slide (simple text slides were $25, complicated garphics were
$250 and sometimes higher).

Opportunity Knocking: Since you're creating the slides, perhaps you should think
about picking up a good-quality slide maker. They go in the $7-$10K range
(beware the cheap ones) and are as simple to use as a printer. The material cost
of producing slides is about $.50(US) each, so there's another $4 to pocket. We
moved a lot of our slide making in house with a LaserGraphics LFR a few years
ago, and it paid for itself within the first year.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124