The screen displays

Subject: The screen displays
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 15:10:11 -0800

>I like to use the phrase "the screen displays the foobar menu", as in "when
>you click the foo tool button, the screen displays . . ."

I don't think that phrase will confuse anyone, but it's a little odd to
portray the screen as the actor. I think it would be more accurate to say
that xyz displays the foobar menu (on the screen).

One could then quibble about xyz. Is it the graphics board? The computer?
The operating system? The application program? Your choice reflects your
point of view. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro