Re: passive voice is discussed actively

Subject: Re: passive voice is discussed actively
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:24:52 -0800

>I *detest* passive voice. The words "should" and "may" denote
>things that are optional. "Install pumps so that...." becomes
>"Pumps shall be installed so that...."

So why not "You shall install pumps so that . . ."?

It's parallel to your preferred version, which is also in the second person.
Perhaps you can create a new standard by making the "you" implicit here too,
as in "Shall install pumps so that . . ." ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro