Typographical conventions

Subject: Typographical conventions
From: K Watkins <KWATKINS -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:41:00 -0300

I use:

- bold Courier for text which the user should type
This is based on a fading metaphor comparing the keyboard to a typewriter.
The monospacing adds the advantage of showing spaces and punctuation
clearly.

- Sans serif for screen text
This reflects the reality of the programs I document.

- 10-point sans serif (plain text is 12-point serif) for key names (Enter,
F1, etc.)

- Bold AND italic for emphasis
This generally means, "Pay attention here or you'll miss the whole point."
Rarely, I use just bold for lesser emphasis.

All this is for paper documents. On-line conventions are still under
construction.

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers