Re: WinHelp structure comes first?

Subject: Re: WinHelp structure comes first?
From: Dawn-Marie Oliver <dawn -at- CYBERSAFE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 14:03:40 -0800

>From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>

>I'm open to other arguments, though, and I'd be interested to know if
>anybody has reconciled these two views. In my mind, there are infinite gray
>zones between them, because an architectural approach is never 100%. But I
>try to push it as high as I can. Anybody got a good case or anecdote for
>doing an accretion WinHelp project?

I have done a couple large-scale WinHelp projects, using "get-to-it" approach
the first time and a planned structure the second time. The structured
approach resulted in a more useful file, in terms of logical links and
general "findability". I did leave time in the schedule for unplanned
growth, which always occurs.

The added benefit of having a structured plan to follow is that when it
comes time to testing the WinHelp file (you do have someone test every
link, don't you :) ), you can hand off your structure notes as a baseline
test plan.

Dawn-Marie Oliver
CyberSafe Corporation
Dawn-Marie -dot- Oliver -at- CyberSafe -dot- com

Disclaimer: These opinions are all mine. My employer and I wouldn't have it
any other way.