Re: Comma splQuote Marks (Was: )

Subject: Re: Comma splQuote Marks (Was: )
From: Karl-Erik Bystrom <kbystrom -at- U -dot- WASHINGTON -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:31:28 -0800

I have two comments regarding the period/quotation mark issue.

First, I believe that always placing periods within quotation marks is an
instance of American usage, and that the practice may differ in British
English (or whatever the proper term is...); I'd appreciate it if anyone
could provide more information.

Second, you could think of the quotation marks as indicating emphasis of
some sort. (Picture the words "Edit" and "Cut" in italics or a
different font rather than in quotation marks.) In this case, the period
would appear after the emphasis, and so--since the quotation marks
are analogous to the emphasis--the period should go outside the quotation
marks.

The moral: Don't think of it as sloppy writing, just as a different
type of writing.

Karl Bystrom