Re: Certification -- why not use the obvious?

Subject: Re: Certification -- why not use the obvious?
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:34:06 PST

Let me see if I understand this correctly. One can establish rational
criteria that can't be measured accurately and reliably? Uh, I think we have
a major disconnect here in exactly what rational criteria are. By definition,
a criterion is a standard by which something can be judged or estimated
(OED). The best criterion others have suggested is plain writing ability,
but that begs the question of technical knowledge or even the ability to
absorb it, not to mention the inherent subjectivity of analyzing writing.

As for those opposed on principle, several people have stated their
adherence to that view. Even if we are in the minority, as "professionals"
in the field we don't deserve to be discounted.

What about publications competitions in STC chapters? My employer does not
permit public dissemination of my work, and I don't belong to the STC. How
then might I obtain certification? Additionally, does the test of winning a
competition mean that somebody moderately skilled and who belongs to a small
chapter (big frog in a little pond) can get certified, while somebody more
skilled but who belongs to a large chapter can't? Additionally, I have seen
winning articles with significant errors. Some test.

This one has to go back to the drawing board.

John -dot- Renish -at- Conner -dot- com
My comments are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals
Original Text