Re: Certification -- why not use the obvious?

Subject: Re: Certification -- why not use the obvious?
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:44:45 -0800

>As an aside, I think STC should jettison the current "senior member"
>status--which certifies only that the possessor kept breathing and sending
>in $95 for five years

It's a perfectly legitimate marketing technique for the organization, and I
don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't heard anyone claim any
predictive value for it.

>Award special membership status only to those who
>have earned a top-level award in the chapter publications competition

Not all chapters have competitions. Not all members can submit their work.

This would also tend to bias the status in favor of employees of large
companies that are willing to pay entry fees for anything anyone wants to
enter. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro