Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 13:15:00 PST

At 03:51 PM 1/3/96 UT, Judith Blackbourn <JudiStaal -at- MSN -dot- COM> wrote:
>For many of you, this discussion seems to be theoretical; I'm taking it
>personally.

The only people who have anything to fear from certification are those who
manage to log most of the following bullets...

* scored low on their SAT
* flunked out of school
* lied on their resume
* committed a serious felony on purpose and never regretted it
* relied on the spell-checker a lot
* never joined STC
* got kicked off this mailing list

If you hit any five of those bullets, you may not get certified if and when
it occurs. Even if you do, getting a job still comes down to getting past an
HR department, then a hiring manager, and finally dodging your way through a
90-day probation period. If you can do all that, you might be a good writer
despite your checkered past. Maybe even certifiable.

The rest of you ought to relax. You're some of the best writers in the
world. No, you don't need no steenking badges. But you may get one anyway.

Garret
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com

When we finished, he shook our hands and told us, "Endeavor to persevere."
We thought about it for a long time, 'endeavor to persevere.' And when we
had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.
- The Outlaw Josie Wales