Re: email v. e-mail

Subject: Re: email v. e-mail
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:21:10 -0800

> Only an emu would pronounce "email" with the
> E emphasized unless already familiar with the word as an exception.

This analysis fails to take account of the fact that email, like emu, has
only two syllables. The reason for citing emaciate, et al was that I thought
the people arguing about pronunciation were claiming that you wouldn't make
the E long. If you're now claiming that you wouldn't know which syllable to
stress, let me call your attention to egis, acorn, idle, open -- just to
name a few off the top of my head. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro