Re: translation questions

Subject: Re: translation questions
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 20:23:34 -0800

>Maybe I'm expecting too much here, but I would assume that a
>competent translator would take colloquial English and turn it
>into colloquial *whatever*, contractions included.

The most important criterion for translators is that they be fluent in the
target language. As a result, you can't always count on their being fluent
in English. For this reason, the simpler the English, the better the chance
of getting a good translation. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro