CE Safety Symbols/Verbage vs US Cautions/Warnings?

Subject: CE Safety Symbols/Verbage vs US Cautions/Warnings?
From: John Gabbert <jgabbert -at- LUMINET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 08:58:47 -0600

In shifting our US-made product user documentation toward CE approval for
European markets, we're sensing an apparent conflict between the CE symbol,
the exclamation-point-in-a-triangle (defined in some places as "Caution,"
and in others as "Warning") with the traditional bi-level Caution/Warning
statements, with their precedence in US tort law.

How does one create a safety alert that satisfies both CE
and US legal requirements? Has anyone dealt with, or resolved--or can
anyone point us to resources or opinions on--the issue?

Many thanks for your assistance; Happy Holidays!
John Gabbert, Technical Editor
jgabbert -at- luminet -dot- net