Re: Changing our Language

Subject: Re: Changing our Language
From: Jim Venis <jimv%ccmailgw -at- IHS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:13:52 MST

Tim Altom:
Most women ignore the indeterminate "he" unless it's ground into
their faces.

Sue Gallagher:
Women have had to *endure* the use of "he" as a gender-neutral
pronoun, just as they have had to *endure* second-class citizenship
and corporate glass ceilings. When you are hurt, you can learn to
endure the pain. That doesn't make the pain go away. Walk a mile in
my shoes before you make such sweeping generalizations, Tim.

I'm with Sue on this one. Enduring the noise of all those
'gender-neutral' "he's has to be a lot like enduring all those "click
the right mouse button" instructions for us lefties. --Jim