Re: Re[2]: FWD: "Illiterate America"

Subject: Re: Re[2]: FWD: "Illiterate America"
From: Stan Radomski <radomski -at- PUBS16 -dot- SI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:59:00 EST

All,

Arlen said:

> This experience might be considered to be supportive of your point, except
that
> it's my oldest, the one taught the "right/wrong dependency and paranoia," that
> is the reporter. The one who "sat in straight rows identifying parts of speech
> and conjugating verbs" loves to write; the one "encouraged to read and write
> with abandon" hates it.

I don't know if anyone saw the report on one of the news shows approximately one
month ago (it was either _20/20_ or _60 Minutes_). The basic premise of the
particular report was that some things are still best taught by simple drill
and practice. Reading was the particular skill in question for this report.

I thought it was quite enlightening because proven methods developed in the '50s
are being ignored and the latest "fad" teaching methods are being used instead.

I can also say from first hand (maybe it's second hand)... our daughter was
in public school using the "encouragement" method and she could not comprehend
what she read. We switched to a private school where the "drill and practice"
method is still used. Her grades have gone down (oh well) but it is very
obvious that she can now read and _comprehend_. Some other odd points... she
has to work much harder but she is much happier...

Stan
radomski -at- si -dot- com

My employer didn't say this...I did.