Learning English Thread

Subject: Learning English Thread
From: David Dvorkin <ddvorki -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 10:28:01 MST

I agree with all of those who praised the value of teaching kids
the rules of grammar and usage. Diagramming sentences, though, is
a different matter.

Is diagramming peculiarly American? (It certainly is peculiar!)
I'd never heard of it until I came to this country, and I never did
get the hang of it -- or want to. It seems to add an unnecessary
layer of complication: the student must learn the rules of
diagramming in addition to those of grammer.

I never learned how to do it, never wanted to, and have never felt
the lack. I real good write without it. (That's a joke, son.)

David Dvorkin