Talking Birds (was Re: the Queen's English)

Subject: Talking Birds (was Re: the Queen's English)
From: Diane Peters <dj -at- IBAPAH -dot- RAXCO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 10:24:41 -0700

Jesse,

On the contrary. Many have taught birds to talk. Perhaps not
pidgeons, but there are quite a few species of birds that can form
words and phrases. Perhaps some birds even speak Pidgin English (or
Tak Pisin). :) Thank you for the linguistics lesson! I sit corrected.

Jesse the K -- Madison Wisconsin USA -- <jesse -at- mailbag -dot- com> replied:
> No-one has taught birds to talk yet Diane; it's Pidgin English (Tak Pisin,
> in itself). From the linguists term for a contact language that develops
> during the interesection of two mono-lingual cultures.

BTW, I am unfamiliar with the use of a hyphen in the word "no one".
Could you reply to me about this, too?

> In article <9512012056 -dot- AA08230 -at- ibapah -dot- raxco -dot- com -dot- raxco -dot- com>, Diane Peters
> <dj -at- ibapah -dot- raxco -dot- com> wrote:

> > I suppose we could (given the budget and people power), but
> > we would now also have to include translations for all the new
> > versions of English that are now recognized as _valid_ languages, such
> > as Pidgeon English. Now there's a language that would send you
> > reeling!

Diane J. Peters
Technical Writer at AXENT Technologies (a division of Raxco, Inc.)
2155 N. Freedom Blvd., Provo, UT ph. 801.227.3775
diapet -at- axent -dot- com (cc:Mail) or dj -at- ibapah -dot- raxco -dot- com (Unix mail)

The road to enlightenment is long and difficult...
So, bring snacks and a magazine.

BTW: My views are mine and mine alone.