Re: Tech Writers that can't write a Resume

Subject: Re: Tech Writers that can't write a Resume
From: Audrey Anglemyer <audreya -at- CLARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 17:26:22 -0800

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Win Day wrote:

> Guy, I respectfully disagree. Writing an effective resume requires skills
> in marketing writing more than skills in true technical writing. They are
> very different beasts!

> To those who want to improve their resume-writing skills, I suggest taking a
> course in marketing (especially marketing for small businesses). You can
> probably find one at your local community college or continuing education
> program.

At Clark Community College, Vancouver, WA, the art of resume writing is
covered in tech-writing. It is preached here that technical writers must
learn to write for a particular audience, and as any TWer knows your
audience must be researched just as the subject upon which you write.
Persuasive writing exercises are also a subject of study in clark's TW
program.

But I do agree with Guy. Our talents vary. Let him have his dignity. He
may need it without a good resume. When you write in one corner for a
long time, it's difficult to feel confident anywhere else. In our
networked community, I would have expected several resume writers to
offer their services.