Re: Job Descriptions and Salary Justification

Subject: Re: Job Descriptions and Salary Justification
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:07:00 PST

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Doug Ingram wrote:

> [My classification says] "Writes and edits instruction and service
> manuals and assists with application and spare parts documents in order to
> provide customer oriented product documentation for company x." Help!

I have written job descriptions before for tech writing positions that got
the position bumped up into a higher classification.

It helps to know what system the HR firm is using to classify the resumes.
I never found any documentation on the system, but I could find people who
had used the system before and interview them. I also got to look at job
descriptions of the higher classifications.

The goals of these two exercises is to guess what words are getting the high
dollars in the analysis. Generally words like "manage", "schedule", and
specific technical skills get higher billing. Working with less supervision
gets you higher billing. The higher the level of management you deal with
the higher your dollars.

You need to rewrite your job description to emphasize the responsibilities
you have. You do not "assist" with the application and spare parts
documents. You "set standards and supervise production" of the documents to
meet your client's needs.... Get the drift? Good luck!

Rose A. Wilcox (the "A" stands for "Analyst")
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us (until the end of Feb.)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com (home address)