Re: Brainstorm for toolbar button

Subject: Re: Brainstorm for toolbar button
From: Andrew Woodhouse <awoodhou -at- MPC-UK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:32:53 GMT

> >How about: a button that puts the letters "de" above a
> >simple representation of a fault line in the ground?
> >
> <SNIP>
> >Man, this is a toughie. Anyone else got any bright ideas?
> >

> How about a picture of a vanilla ice cream cone, since using the defaults
> generally produces "plain vanilla" results?

> Win
> ---------------
> Win Day
> Technical Writer/Editor
> Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com

Err...there are a number of problems with this approach that I can see.

Firstly, will users really know (inuitively) that an ice-cream cone represents
defaults (it wouldn't be clear to me)!

Secondly, are you using coloured icons? If not, how do you show it's a vanilla
cone...<g>

To show default values, why not adopt a user-oriented approach...the user lets
the computers fill in the numbers/options, so show a computer with a
representation of this in the display - I would suggest just a couple of radio
buttons with squiggly lines representing text.

Just a thought.

Andrew Woodhouse

------------ Technical Writer ------------
U S WEST INTERNATIONAL SYSTEMS GROUP
email (work) : andrew -dot- woodhouse -at- isysg -dot- com
email (home) : awoodho -at- ibm -dot- net
D I S C L A I M E R
Nothing in this message represents the
views or opinions of U S WEST ISG.