Re: Brainstorm for toolbar button

Subject: Re: Brainstorm for toolbar button
From: Kevin Harper <kevinh -at- DEV -dot- TIVOLI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 07:55:24 CST

Kim Adams wrote:

> A professional user interface designer once told me she thought buttons
> should have both text and graphics on them.

This shocks me. I would think that a professional UI designer would
preach against this because bitmap containing the text/graphic is
probably not easily internationalized. For this reason, I don't think
the word "default" or its equivalent should appear in the icon. (Unless,
perhaps, the original poster's company is not interested in selling
the product outside the US.)

But is a toolbar button that displays a defaults dialog really necessary?
I've always thought that these buttons are designed to help the
user access frequently-used areas/functions of the application. Is the
user expected to set the defaults on a regular basis? Granted, I
don't know the application, but I've never come across a program
in which I reset default values on a regular basis.

Kevin Harper
kevinh -at- tivoli -dot- com