Re: Online Internet Providers

Subject: Re: Online Internet Providers
From: Kim Adams <kimadams -at- OZ -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 19:19:55 GMT

>I'm considering changing over to another provider where I would
>have
>direct access to the net, disk space for a Web page or two and be able to use
>Netscape, etc.

I have just completed my search for an internet service provider and
learned a few things along the way. I was lucky to have access to a list of
providers in my area with facts about each, such as modem type and speed,
disk quotas, date established, number of users, number of news groups
carried, length of free trial period, etc.

In this area (Seattle) a SLIP or PPP account is about $20 to $25 per month
for unlimited access. With all things there are nice to haves and need to
haves, but only you can decide what is best for you. For me, unlimited
access is a need to have. A PPP connection, over a SLIP, is a nice to
have. A static IP address is a nice to have. 24-hour support is a nice to
have. Responsive support is a need to have.

Also keep in mind that some modems don't work well together. US Robotics
Sportsters hate my Supra, for example, resulting in dropped connections.

If you do not already have TCP/IP and PPP software, you might consider
buying the "Internet Starter Kit," which contains that software and some
other utilities (that you can obtain from the Net if you know where to
look) along with an excellent Internet user's guide.

My last bit of advice is take advantage of free trial periods if they exist
and talk to users by posting to the local newsgroup for the service.