Re: GPA on Resume

Subject: Re: GPA on Resume
From: "Marvin W. Miller" <Marvin_Miller -at- SEC -dot- SEL -dot- SONY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 08:27:06 -0800

--part_ACE0785A003D84AA00000001

GPA may be of some use if you are looking for a job shortly after graduation.
After that, who cares?

Besides, being a parent is the toughest job in the world. Kudos to anyone who
can go to school and be a parent at the same time. The ability to multitask is
much more important to me than a GPA.

> >In my reply to Tim Altom, I was using fecundity in reference to
> >having children. I'm sure you knew
> >that and were just trying to make a point about misconstruing
> >things, right?
> >
> >Anyway, in reference to your full plate analogy, I have two children,
> >one on the way, and I am
> >maintaining a 3.75 GPA in a TCOM Masters program at Southern
> >Tech. What's the big deal?
> >
> >I would want a prospective employer to focus on my GPA, not
> >my reproductive success.
> >
> >Mr. Altom uses his sig to identify himself as a Vice President of
> >his company. If he were to find
> >himself in the position of interviewing a prospective, litigious
> >minded employee, that person might
> >misconstrue Mr. Altom's questions as a violation of fair hiring
> >practices and sue the snot out of
> >him.
> >

> I haven't been following this thread for a few days, and I see my
> time away has allowed my original message to become garbled.

> I said nothing in the original message about interviewing a
> prospective employee, litigious or otherwise. I am aware of the law
> in such matters.
> However, there is nothing in the law to prevent an applicant
> from mentioning marital or reproductive status in a resume, which is
> what the entire message concerned itself with.

> Let me restate my position, just for the record. The grind of
> our real-world work quickly separates the tough from the feeble. Having
> a high GPA doesn't have any positive correlation to toughness (and
> usually has no positive correlation to skills, either). But having a
> high GPA despite a heavy workload, children, senile parents or
> other burdens immediately marks out a candidate as being, at the
> very least, extraordinarily committed to a goal in the teeth of
> setbacks and frustrations. Almost all of our people have direct
> and constant contact with frazzled and disorganized clients,
> requiring patience, courage and resourcefulness. A thirty-year-old
> mother of preschool children who was forced back to college after a
> messy divorce and still maintained a high GPA over four hard years of
> jobs, classes and preschool has already proven she's tough. I see
> nothing wrong with pointing out those things on a resume, in the
> absence of other work that demonstrates the same attributes.

> Tim Altom
> Vice President
> Simply Written, Inc.
> Technical Documentation and Training
> Voice 317.899.5882
> Fax 317.899.5987

--part_ACE0785A003D84AA00000001

Marvin W. Miller
Technical Communications Group
Sony Systems Engineering Center - San Jose, CA
Ph 408-955-4251
marvin -at- sec -dot- sel -dot- sony -dot- com

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981
--part_ACE0785A003D84AA00000001--