Re: On-line Service Provider

Subject: Re: On-line Service Provider
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:01:21 -0800

>I'm curious to find out from other independent tech writers what you use.
> And
>can you give me any pros and cons on using one service over another? And
>if you've used America Online, can you give me any reasons to stay with
>aol?

There is a web site which lists the on-line service providers with info
about them and comments from users. http://thelist.com/

I use Netcom which has its own software, NetCruiser. The software is pretty
good--not perfect. You get a lot of hours for your $20, but not quite
unlimited. Overall, I like them. But, they are getting busy, some times
the response time is not too good. And a call to ask a question is long
distance unless you live in San Jose.

One thing to keep in mind is whether you can reach the service without it
being a toll call. Another is how difficult it is to set up. Netcom loads
with a windows setup, just like any windows software. You don't have to
deal with WINSOCK and WIN32S or that other stuff. The cheapest service I
have seen is called "The Loop". It is on the web at http://www.loop.com.
But I have heard that you need to know what you are doing to set it up.

Janet
jvalade -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com