Problems with RTFTOHTML

Subject: Problems with RTFTOHTML
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- IO -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 11:27:52 -0500

I have been looking at software to convert Microsoft Word documents to
HTML. I've looked at Internet Assistant for Word, Anchorpage, and
RTFTOHTML, among others.

Internet Assistant doesn't hanlde tables and won't generate a table
of contents that's linked to the headers in the document, so it's useless
to me.

AnchorPage looks interesting, but I haven't had enough time to form
a firm opinion. It may be overkill for what I want.

RTFTOHTML would be good enough for my purposes, if I could get it to
generate a table of contents linked to the headers in the document. According
to the docs, it will do this, but I cannot get it to work using the styles
that are in our documents. Our standard template uses the heading styles:
Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, and so on. RTFTOHTML expects: heading 1
heading 2, heading 3, and so on. You can edit a translation table in one
of the configuration files to allow for this, at least the docs say that you
can, but I can't get it to work. I could write a macro to change the styles
in our documents from "Heading n" to "heading n", but this adds an extra
step to the conversion process.

I am not sure if RTF itself has built-in styles, or whether it just uses
the style names that come from your Word file or template.

If anyone has used RTFTOHTML and can offer any advice, I'd really appreciate
hearing from you.

Regards,
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- io -dot- org -- http://www.io.org/~ksoltys/
Technical Writer, Technical Development, Dow Jones Telerate Canada Inc.
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein