Re: Frozen contractors

Subject: Re: Frozen contractors
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 06:40:51 PST

> How do you handle frozen contracts. For instance, you take on a 3 month
> project, but after two months it becomes clear that it's going to take much
> longer; 6 or 8 months, perhaps more.

This happens to me all the time. All my clients are run off their
feet, and it's inconvenient for me to do their legwork for them,
since they're in Silicon Valley and we're in Oregon. Also, a couple
of them have fallen into the trap of, "No, no, don't talk to Engineering,
send your requests to me and I'll run them down for you."

My solution is to have multiple clients. I've found that 3-4 clients
keep things humming along very nicely. Each client is convinced that
they can keep us busy full-time, but their follow-through is weak.
Eventually, all of them will give us massive quantities of work at
the exact same moment, and things will get very interesting for a while.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139