Re: Faked message

Subject: Re: Faked message
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:20:10 -0700

>Jeffrey Pittman wrote:
>In a message dated 95-11-18 23:17:05 EST, sea -at- NETCOM -dot- COM (Sue Ellen Adkins)
>writes:

>>Folks,
>>
>>I don't know who wrote the following message, but I certainly did not!

> Be aware! Don't ever leave your machine unattended and open to your
>internet account. Strange messages can be sent that will appear to have
come
>from you.
>Some of these messages could even cost you your position.
>Good luck,
>J.P.

Actually, Jeffrey, it's quite easy to fake messages even if your computer is
completely secure. This message came from hundreds, maybe thousands, of
miles from your computer.

From, the phantom message faker!....

(Actually this is Peter Kent, and I _didn't_ fake the original message, I'm
just showing how easy it is to fake messages on the Internet.)

Peter Kent