Re: value of books

Subject: Re: value of books
From: Peter Kent <71601 -dot- 1266 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 13:17:01 EST

>>>Multimedia does not an idiot make. Many things do a Luddite make, however,
and it does not behoove those of us who suck at the teat of technology to
deliver gratuitous kicks and scratches to our nurturing mother. <<

Nobody told me I had to have a blind belief in all things technological just
because I write about technology! If the technology has problems, why
shouldn't we discuss those problems, rather than pretend they don't exist?

By the way, the Luddites get a pretty bad rap. The Luddites were right; they
made logical assessments about technology and how it affected them, and acted
on those assessments. It's all very well for us, several hundred years later,
to say, "oh, how silly of those Luddites, couldn't they see the wonders that
technology would bring!" If your children are starving, you really don't care
about the level of unemployment a century or two down the road, you care about
keeping your kids alive!

Peter Kent

Peter Kent: 71601 -dot- 1266 -at- compuserve -dot- com, 303-989-1869
Coming soon, an updated and revised Technical Writer's Freelancing
Guide. E-mail for more information. Comments/suggestions welcome.