Re: Re[3]: value of books

Subject: Re: Re[3]: value of books
From: Tom Tadfor Little <tlittle -at- LANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:50:26 -0700

Matthew B. Hicks wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Arlen P. Walker wrote:

> > (Further note to those unfamiliar with Michael Hart and Project Gutenberg:
Go
> > vist ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/etext/gutenberg now. Do not delay,
drop
> > everything and do it now. It is the charter of Project Gutenberg to publish
> > electronic versions of books, to create an electronic library which is
freely
> > available to all.

> This is a noble endeavor, but I can't help thinking that if I can't lay
> my hands on a copy of _Moby Dick_, what are the chances that I have a
> computer, a Web browser, and a connection to the Internet, or even
> access to one?

While I agree that electronic books are unlikely to replace the printed
ones any time soon, I think that a great need is served by online books.
_If_ you're one of the people who have an internet connection (and millions
do), then you potentially have access to a vast library of books you could
not possibly keep in your house or office. Even your local library cannot
get you a book instantly, at any hour, without your leaving your desk.

Just as being able to call directory assistance has distinct advantages over
owning (or borrowing) a current copy of every phone directory in the world, so
having books online has tremendous advantages over relying strictly on print
copies.

--
Tom Tadfor Little tlittle -at- lanl -dot- gov -or- telp -at- Rt66 -dot- com
technical writer/editor Los Alamos National Laboratory

Visit Telperion Productions on the web at
http://www.rt66.com/~telp