Re: Need input for career decisions

Subject: Re: Need input for career decisions
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:50:58 -0400

Tony Pieri wrote:

>What is your sense of the market? Will there be a continuing demand for
>someone who wants to concentrate on electromechanical documentation or am
>I fooling myself?

Allthough I have done software documentation (and expect to do more of it),
I also enjoy other types of technical writing. I'm always on the lookout
for chances to do biomedical and environmental writing, and I like to do
descriptive and/or instructional stuff for non-profit groups (libraries,
museums, medical consumer and support groups). So far I've managed to keep
a good mix, pay my share of the mortgage, and not get bored.

Yes, most current job and freelance contract ads seem to be from the s/w
and telecommunications industries. But there -are- opportunites in other
fields. And unless WW3 wipes us all off the map, there will always be new
household products and industrial equipment that need documentation. With
other techwriters migrating to the 'hot' fields, you ought to be in a
pretty good position to take advantage of those opportunities when they
come along.

Good luck!

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com