Punctuation and Hypertext

Subject: Punctuation and Hypertext
From: "Suzanne M. Faubl" <tscom002 -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 12:37:53 -0500

Techreaders -

Most of us read hardcopy more quickly (and with greater comprehension) than
we read from the screen.

I don't know about everyone else, but I find myself "excusing" punctuation
and spelling errors when I read online stuff. I think it is because I have
a difficult time editing on the screen. (I NEED the hardcopy.)

Does anyone think that hypertext may be making us lazy in our use of
punctuation? Are we lowering our expectations?

Maybe we don't mind sacrificing the richness (and grammatical correctness)
of language to get our info "off the line" quickly.

After all, whose counting on apostrophe's, anyway? ;=>

Sue tscom002