Forum 95 is over

Subject: Forum 95 is over
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:28:01 +0100

Hello,

from Monday to Wednesday this week Forum 95 took place in Dortmund, Germany,
Europe. Some 320 technical communicators from 13 countries gathered to talk
about some 100 topics in the official program and a lot more during the coffee
breaks. And the Forum conferences are supposed to be a single coffee break :-)

One volume of the Forum 95 proceedings was published before the conference.
The purpose was shown by the title Pre"seed"ings. A second volume called
"Postharvest" will be published at the beginnung of 1996. I will keep you
informed on how to obtain copies - noone in Dortmund could tell me exactly.

The official discussions were not the most important part of the conference,
personal talk was. Now there are people from Scandinavia, North America,
Australia and other places who know what I look and sound like.

My checklist about the creation of a writer-programmer interface for online
documentation did not find very much interest, but that was a quite
specialized topic. During the "Idea Market" some 15 people discussed the
principle of programmer-writer interaction with me and at a later
"Sort-and-Buid Group" eight people discussed details of the checklist.
According to these discussions, I will update the checklist and then send a
notice to this list.

At the last Forum conference in 1990, e-mail addresses were no topic at all.
In the meantime, most of the participants had one. My Forum 95 mailing list
will continue to exist and I hope it gets a boost from the publicity at Forum
95 and from the fact that many of the participants interacted personally
before. This might be an interesting experience.

Several participants of TECHWR-L came to me at Forum 95. E.g., Nancy Hoft
approached me quite early and in a quite corner I translated her a German
review of her book "International Technical Communication. How to export
information about high technology".

I enjoyed my second Forum conference quite a lot. Rumors were that Forum 00
will be held in Paris, France. As the name implies, this will be in the year
2000.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander