Re: Re. Gender differences in cyberspace

Subject: Re: Re. Gender differences in cyberspace
From: Audrey Anglemyer <audreya -at- CLARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 00:33:16 -0800

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Geoff Hart wrote:

> understand women) just as often as this occurs in
> between-sex communication. So, to reiterate Gretchen's
> question: anyone out there got good, hard evidence for
> differences? And what does this mean for our writing?

Yes, there is a wealth of scientifically backed data in
J. Gray's *Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus* to
apply when writing for a specific audience. I don't recall
any electronic communication studies in the book, as it was
written with a primary focus on personal relationships,
but this author presents information to help bridge the gap
between genders. Where the differences in *relating styles*
comes from matters not to me, but reaching the reader does.

And also along this thread, someone mentioned AOL's chat
rooms. I did not finish my freebie hours either, and also
was disgusted with the lack of consideration and mass of
offensive chatter. These people probably do their best
writing on bathroom walls. It is nice to be in the company
of this group, even when the subjects stray a little.

Here's to diversity...
Audrey,
Sci-Tech Comm Student at Clark.edu