Re. Gender differences in cyberspace

Subject: Re. Gender differences in cyberspace
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 13:16:03 LCL

Gretchen Toth posted long excerpts from an article that
proposed the existence of a gender bias in cyberspace. I'd
have to agree with Gretchen that the authors obviously
hadn't spent much time on our list. Gretchen may attract a
little flame for the "off topic" post (enjoy it,
Gretchen... it's cold out there today!), but I'd love to
follow up on one of her questions: do men and women process
information differently? This _does_ have clear
implications for techwhirling, given that roughly 50% of
our audiences fall into one or the other category. (For the
rest of you... they're resurrecting the old "Invaders" SF
series on FOX, I believe... we know you're out there!)

I'm a firm advocate of the "we are fascinated by each other
because we never understand each other" school of thought
on relations between the sexes, but to be honest, I have
nothing beyond anecdotal evidence to support this belief.
I've seen men fail to understand men (and women fail to
understand women) just as often as this occurs in
between-sex communication. So, to reiterate Gretchen's
question: anyone out there got good, hard evidence for
differences? And what does this mean for our writing?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.