The Death of the Apostrophe

Subject: The Death of the Apostrophe
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 21:56:00 -0500

Has anyone out there read Charles Larson's November 6 essay in Newsweek
about the decline of the apostrophe?

In the essay (ITS ACADEMIC, OR IS IT?) Larson posits that people under the
age of 35 generally have no idea how the apostrophe ought to be used. Ever
since a colleague pointed the article out to me, I've become hyper-aware of
how often the apostrophe is misused today.

Is the apostrophe on the way out of the English language? Should we be
fighting on the front to keep the apostrophe alive or mourning its passing?

Misti
manslin -at- mail -dot- ic -dot- net