Re: Lock, Freeze, Hang, Crash?

Subject: Re: Lock, Freeze, Hang, Crash?
From: John Wilcox <john -at- SYNTAX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:25:50 -0800

> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:33:04 GMT
> From: Michael Collier <mci -at- LUBRIZOL -dot- COM>

> For example, in a situation where (1) a dialog box fails to disappear after
> an option is selected, and (2) the pointing device can still be moved around
> the screen but (3) none of the dialog commands are executed, causing the
> user to (4) restart the computer for it to operate, which of the above terms
> apply?

I'd say it's hung.

> Also, what would be a more technical term to describe this situation,
> other than something profane?

In Windows terminology, "the application has stopped responding to the
system."

> Do one, any, or none of the subject terms apply to a situation the same as
> above, excepting that the pointing device cannot be moved at all?

I'd say the system has locked up, or frozen.

> Any specific insights into the different conditions users attempt to
> describe with each term, and their more technical non-profane equivalent, if
> any, would be appreciated.

I'd say the only difference between an app being hung or locked up is
that in the former it seems to be trying to do something, whereas in
the latter it's obviously no longer doing anything.

A crash would be when you lose the entire app or o/s. Time to reboot.

John Wilcox <john -at- syntax -dot- com>
Senior Technical Writer
Syntax, Inc., 840 S. 333rd St., Federal Way, WA 98003-6343 USA
voice 206-838-2626, fax 206-838-9836, http://www.syntax.com