Re[2]: Learning C code as a technical writer

Subject: Re[2]: Learning C code as a technical writer
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 07:12:00 -0600

This requires a compiler and documentation. Not cheap
unless you can find access to one elsewhere.

This, of course, depends upon your definition of the word "cheap." "Learn C on
the Macintosh" by Dave Mark sells for $35 and includes a C compiler. There are
several C compilers available for the downloading from the Internet (most
notable is gcc from the Free Software Foundation, but there are others) so the
cost would be whatever your ISP charges you.

If you insist on going commericial, the price goes up a little higher. My first
commercial C compiler cost $69. I see one for $99 advertised occasionally. Yes,
if you're going to buy professional-quality development systems development Kits
you'll pay more. But do you have to buy a Porsche to learn how to drive?

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data