Re[4]: couple of questions

Subject: Re[4]: couple of questions
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 15:22:00 -0600

Arlen, what's your point? I think you're picking nits with the semantics.
Of course writing requires logic and precision. But not in the same way
that programming does. Most of us who can write and program know the
difference.

My point was that any writer can write a program (let's differentiate, as I did
in my first message, between "writing a program" and "producing a finished,
commercially viable, product." I would disagree that the skills are different; I
would agree that the end result is different. We've discussed on another thread
the need to "know your audience." That applies here as well; the computer is the
audience. You organize and present the instructions in the way your audience can
best work with it -- in this case the audience is completely unforgiving of the
slightest error on your part, but will at least attempt to indicate to you where
you confused it, unlike many human audiences. ;{>}

The organization skills, the logic, the precision -- they're all the same skills
we use in writing everyday. The language is a litle stilted, true, but many of
us work in arenas filled with far more abundant and confusing jargon. What some
seem unable (or at least loathe) to do is take that empathic (and here the word
is used *very* loosely) first step and identify with the audience we are writing
for. A good writer will reach into the reader and make a connection.

Yes, I know the difference between writing and programming. But the difference
is more in the final product and the specific needs of the audience than the
process itself.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124