TagWrite: Sounds an awful lot like VenEdit

Subject: TagWrite: Sounds an awful lot like VenEdit
From: Patrick O'Connell <titanide -at- MICRO -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 22:51:51 -0500

Alison Bloor was wondering whether any of us are using TagWrite. Without
knowing the exact function of the product she mentioned, I am reminded of
a product we used to use at Eicon Technology, back in the bad old days of
GEM Ventura 3.0 (well, I don't know that Windows and FrameMaker was a step
forward, actually).

It was called VenEdit, and it was a specialized ASCII file editor that
could hide the <>'d embedded codes of a Ventura ASCII source, using
display attributes and specific characters to indicate types of codes --
these were still embedded in the onscreen text, but much less obtrusive
when you were in "hide tags" mode.

The bonus about Venedit was that, Ventura-specific functionality
notwithstanding, it was a terrific little ASCII text editor in its own
right: copy, cut and paste functions, multiple windows, keystroke macro
recording and playback, fully modifiable key-to-functions mappings, etc.
Before the wholesale conversion of Eicon's TP dept. to Windows, I used to
use VenEdit as my preferred text editor. These days it's plain old EDIT in
DOS, and a wonderful shareware product called Programmer's File Editor
(PFE) for Windows.

Alison, how does TagWrite compare? More focused on conversion, rather
than editing? If focused on editing, similar to what I have described?

I'm also curious to hear from fellow VenEdit-veteran listmembers.

PatO'
titanide -at- micro -dot- org