Small size book(let)s?

Subject: Small size book(let)s?
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:22:15 U

We've decided to publish our tutorial in a small page format rather than 8-1/2
x 11. We have not made any decision on the type of binding but are leaning
toward looseleaf, because the document will be fairly large and updatability
will be a definite plus.

Now we're wondering how, exactly, we'll print, bind, assemble, and so on.
We've got the standard assortment of laser printers and photocopiers. We
*don't* have a power-drill type hole-punch, an industrial-strength paper
cutter/trimmer, or any other specialized stuff like that. We want to be able to
produce the original in-house, and we'd like to be able to produce at least a
few copies on demand--we don't want to "job out" the entire production process.

How do y'all handle these types of things? Do you print them in-house? On what
paper (and if it's nonstandard, where do you buy it)? How do you handle page
sizes? How about binding: what do you use, how do you do it? What should I be
asking that I haven't asked?

I'd welcome any and all information, suggestions, musings, and so on. Feel free
to respond directly and I'll summarize.

Thanks.
--Stacey Kahn
skahn -at- wb -dot- com Washington, DC
speaking for myself and not for my employers